Believe Canvas with Pigment Powder Tutorial

by - 6:00 AM

Hi! Today I’m sharing a 5″ x 5″ canvas I created using Donna Salazar with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® Pigment Powder.


First, I painted my canvas with a light coat of white gesso.



Second, using a coral spray mist I lightly covered two-thirds of my canvas; using a heat tool I dried the mist. Tip: When using a bold color spray lightly, you can always add more later.


Third, I removed the spray nozzle from a gold spray mist and added a few “splotches” of gold. Without drying the gold spray mist, I sprayed my canvas with water and then tilted it up and down allowing the coral and gold to run and mix together. When I liked the way the two colors had mixed together I dried my canvas using a heat tool.



I repeated steps two and three twice.


Fourth, I painted my chipboard pieces with a light coat of white gesso. Tip: Paint your chipboard pieces on wax, this keeps them from sticking and makes for easy cleanup.


Fifth, while my chipboard pieces were drying I placed about an 1/8 of a teaspoon of Donna Salazar with Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L® Pigment Powder onto wax paper. I added a small “glob” of modeling paste to the pigment powder, mixing both together with a palette knife until it was a smooth, translucent gold.


Sixth, using the translucent gold modeling paste, palette knife and a stencil I added gold stars to my canvas; using a heat tool I dried the modeling paste.


Seventh, I used the same process outlined in steps two and three to alter my chipboard pieces.



Finally, I adhered my chipboard frame and swirls first using Extreme Double-Sided Tape - 1/8" PermanentNext, using Crafty Foam Tape - White I adhered my 'believe' title. To finish my canvas I added flowers, ribbon, bells and a snowflake.


Here are a few close-ups:




Embellishments
Essentials – ribbon
2 Crafty Chipboard – swirl
Dusty Attic – ATC frame #1
Creative Embellishments – inspire word set
Petaloo – flowers
Art Minds – bells 
Michael's – mini ornaments
Fun Stampers Journey – twine

Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 

Products 
Art Advantage – 5″ x 5″ canvas board, brush set
13 Arts – gesso, modeling paste, stars stencil
Prima Marketing, Color Bloom – spray mist
Heidi Swapp – stamp
Tim Holtz – distress ink, jump rings
Darice – heat tool
Faber-Castell – palette knife

Thanks for joining me today!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. beautiful canvas, I'm liking your mixed media :) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica, I am excited to find your site on this blog hop. I want to do more mixed media this coming year so I am looking forward to learning from you. My other goal is to spend less time on my and more time exercising.
    Happy New Year, Kathy S

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning! Thanks for the step by step and the inspiration. I am wanting to do a few canvas pieces myself (for the first time).

    ReplyDelete